A friend who was in the Navy and was a Merchant Marine ship Captain for many years brought to me a well damaged book about the history of the Navy from its beginning up to around 1915. Both his father and grandfather were in the Navy as well.
The book was in three pieces, the front and back covers and the main signature. The signature was in good condition and still had some linen hinges attached. The covers were in bad shape, the linen covering was really ragged and the boards were splitting open. I suggested new boards, but he wanted it put back together just the way the boards were. So……………
I first brushed a some methylcellulose on the linen hinges to remove the old glue that was on them.
Then I scraped off the glues, and you can see the clean patch on the tape.
Next I want to clean the back of the cover linens the same way. Only I find on the front cover linen it is just falling apart, so I cut away about an inch from the edge on that one. On the right picture is a new hinge that I made using a deep blue linen, backed with paper. In the middle of the new hinge is a piece of acid free paper where it will rest against the spine. One side is longer because of the extra inch I cut away for the front cover.
Here the new hinge is positioned for gluing. I originally was going to glue under the cover linen, but on the front cover it was too worn and I cut it away.
So the new hinge is glued to the cover, the flaps will be glued on the inside.
Next I glue the back cover part of the hinge down on the back board and then glue the remaining back board linen on top of the new hinge.
Ideally I would have liked to have done this to the front but as I said the front linen was too worn for this.
Then the book gets opened and the original linen hinge that is attached to the signature gets glued and then a new short piece of end paper will cover the hinge.